"The whole is greater than the sum of its parts." ~ Fritz Perls
Sorry, currently there are no openings for new clients in Tom's groups.
Groups provide a synergy that almost defies description. Coming together, participants learn far more than they could otherwise. In fact, some of the most profound progress clients make is in groups.
Group therapy offers a safe place to learn and practice new inter kills and receive immediate feedback. Participants identify these benefits of group therapy:
- Experiencing acceptance and sympathy
- Witnessing honesty, courage, and openness
- Observing and practicing assertiveness
- Learning about one's impact on others
- Venting emotions and being heard
~ Adapted from The Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy By Irvin D. Yalom
This group was designed to provide accessible, high-quality therapy at a reasonable cost. Participants pay a reduced fee out-of-pocket. Except Medical Assistance, no insurance is accepted. That way, clients may take the time they want and need without restrictive session limits.
What is Tom's Approach?
In groups, Tom's main approach is interpersonal. Participants are encouraged to:
* Experiment with new behaviors
* Freely express how they react to one another
* Practice skills they would like to gain or expand
* Seek and use feedback from one another
* Share and celebrate successes
A group serves as a microcosm of one's life, both inside and out. Patterns of thought and behavior are revealed. You are provided a place to see how such patterns impact you and others--in the moment, as they unfold--and can experiment with making adjustments.
Because people trust the feedback they hear from their peers--typically even more than that from professionals--they tend to make progress more quickly and deeply.
- Maintain other members' confidentiality
- Develop specific group goals
- Attend sessions regularly and on time
- Arrive free of the influence of alcohol or other non-prescription drugs
- Attend at least eight sessions
- Honestly report reactions to and feelings about other members
Before joining, Tom asks interested people to attend a 90-minute individual intake interview to ensure that the group is right for them, and vice versa. Here, relevant history, goals, and expectations are reviewed. The fee for this 90-minute session is $150.00, and may be covered by insurance.
In addition to working on interpersonal skills and intimacy, this group can help people who are struggling with:
- Work issues
- And more.
The group can serve as your sole form of treatment, or may be used in conjunction with ongoing or occasional individual or couples therapy.
- $45.00 per session
- Pay out-of-pocket only
- No insurance use or insurance reimbursement (except Medical Assistance)
- Advance payment of $180.00 required for segments of four sessions
- Cash and checks preferred; major credit cards also accepted